Wednesday, March 16, 2011

As The Date Approaches...

My preparation for this trip has been unlike any other I've ever experienced. My team is much smaller than any other team I've been on a mission trip with, and I also don't really know the people I'm going with nearly as much as I'd like to. We've had three training sessions so far but I feel like there's so much more to know about everyone. I eagerly await the journey and the chance to get to know the people I haven't been able to spend much time with.

I think a few years ago I would have looked at our preparation and been discontent with it. We don't know what we're doing in Mexico, aside from odd jobs around El Pozo, the rescue and rehabilitation home for human trafficking victims, and helping ease whatever burdens we can for the staff at Newsong Mexico City (NEO). We haven't bonded an amazing amount with our team or worked through any tough problems to bring us together as a team, (with the slight exception of our first training session challenge, in which we had to go buy lunch and feed each other.) yet today I feel a sense of peace over the whole journey. I think it's the peace that God gives us when we trust Him.

Once again, I think it comes down to doing things for a great God, as opposed to doing great things for God. We don't know what we're doing and we don't know how to do it, but God has invited us to Mexico for a reason, and it is good. I know this.

Our team, Josh Yu, Mallory Yu, Rebecca Wang, Yohan Song, Stephanie Bai, Marisabel Berrellez, Danny Fann, and I, will be leaving for Mexico City this Sunday night, in a few days. You can definitely pray for us... for all of the normal mission trip stuff. But for right now, I just want to express how much I want to thank God. It's something that I don't do often enough, but I was reading Psalms 50 yesterday and God pointed something out to me. "Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High." (Psalm 50:14 NLT)

Thank You, God, for inviting us to join you in your work. We're really excited to see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment