Monday, March 7, 2011

BWAM Training 3/5/11

On Saturday we had a team training in which we read Isaiah 58 as part of our devotions.
We didn't really have time to share together but I wanted to write a little bit about what I read.

One of the biggest things that stood out to me was right after verse 6-7, the verses that Isaiah 58 is known for. I was most interested in verses 8-11.

"Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind. Then when you call, the Lord will answer. 'Yes, I am here,' He will quickly reply. Remove the heavy yoke of oppression. Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumors! Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon. The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry, and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring." (NLT)

I guess I'm a little bit of a pessimist, always thinking that my life could be so much better and always looking for ways in which I can improve my circumstances, even if it has a holy cover-up like "I want to be a better Christian to experience more joy in life." But God basically gives us a promise in these verses that God will give us water when we are dry, and He will restore our strength, if only we fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

I don't know how much this directly relates to our trip, but I'm sure we will encounter situations there in which we can remove the heavy yolk of oppression for someone. I don't think it has to be a huge act, it might even be doing something for a fellow teammate. Abe, our college pastor, shared a quote with us that says, "There's a big difference between doing great things for God and doing things for a great God."

Maybe God will call us to do the smallest most insignificant things imaginable, but if we follow Him and trust Him with what little we have, we will be "like a well-watered garden, like an ever flowing spring."

We serve and we follow a great God.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDC4_inKkis&feature=player_embedded#at=95

    ReplyDelete